Saturday, June 19, 2010

First Couple of Days in Amman - يومان الأول في عمّان

So far, I love Amman. The place I'm staying is called AlFuheis (الفُحيص), and it's like a suburb of Amman. It is a Christian Village and the people here are very nice. The sunsets and sunrises are gorgeous, set above the large rolling hills of Jordan. I was surprised how green it was here, and also how large the city is. Luckily, the bus system is good here, so getting around is not a problem. I arrived Wednesday night wiped out after two days of travel, but the next morning I was ready to travel some more. I went with Ismael, a new friend, to Madaba, a city near where I am staying. We had a good day traveling around and I got to see a lot of interesting sites and start improving my Arabic. After I got back I went with his friend Ahmad and his family for coffee, and had a good time getting to know his sons, one of whom was very kind in going way out of his way to help me get home, which I had forgotten where it was.
The next day was Friday, and this is the first day of the weekend here. People spend the day relaxing, as well as Saturday, but more so Friday because it is like the Sabbath here. So Friday I just hung out at the house with the family and talked, watched the game on TV, and we practiced our English. Today I went downtown to see what was going on there, and I learned that the city wakes up late on the weekends. Even by 10am most of the shops are still closed, but I managed to get a nice pair of black pants for a wedding I will attend in a couple of weeks. I don't have to to many pictures yet, because I don't wan't to look like a tourist carrying a camera everywhere I go, but I have some, and I promise to get more soon.

A beautiful sunset view from the house.

A view of the front of the house.
Fadi, 16 years old, host brother.
Etedal, host Mom.
Off to the side of the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment